We were joined by several members of the ACLU program People Power whose mission is to help people with felony convictions get their civil rights restored. It was a great conversation about our prison system and the ways we can all work to make improvements. Attached are the handouts which share more information about the program including how to find Voter Restoration Clinics in your area. In addition to the upcoming clinic in Maricopa County, here are a few in Pima County. Pima County Public Defense Services is hosting a free rights restoration clinic during both weekends of the Pima County Fair, Saturday and Sunday, April 21 and 22 and 28 and 29, from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. inside Old Pueblo Hall at the Pima County Fairgrounds. Also, you need to bring a Certificate of Absolute Discharge to these clinics.
We did not have time to cover the other business of AZRSOL, so here’s that update…
- Pat & Terry were interviewed by local reporter Bianco Buono from NBC 12 about the fear people have with registered citizens living near schools. It will air in May and we will let you know when. After hearing some of the facts concerning the registry and recidivism she expressed an interest in having future segments about the registry.
- We have mailed over 3,500 Outreach letters. If anyone would like to add stamps to any of these please take what you can. Thank you, Jeff.
- Sue Ellen Allen from Reinventing Reentry will be our speaker. She is the President and Founder of Reinventing Reentry which is a non-profit which assist newly released inmates to gain employment, seek higher education and find housing, thus building safer communities, reducing recidivism and freeing up millions of dollars for education budgets instead.
- In June, Jerry Eilnie from DOC’s Risk Assessment Unit will come to speak about their process of assigning levels as people are released from prison.
- The 2018 Legislative session will be ending soon. We continue to meet with Legislators. This is an election year and encourage you to meet with your candidates and discuss the challenges you face. We will be happy to go to the meetings with you.
The next meeting will be on Thursday May 17 at 6pm. We hope to see you there.