We were honored to have Dr. Richard Samuels speak at our Fearless meeting last night. Dr. Samuels’ career began in New Jersey working with human sexuality programs. He now focuses his practice on forensics. During his talk, he discussed the different measuring tests that are used for people on the registry to determine their recidivism risk. The tests are:
- SOTIPS (Sex Offender Treatment Intervention and Progress Scale) a statistically-derived dynamic measure designed to aid clinicians, correctional caseworkers, and probation and parole officers in assessing risk, treatment and supervision needs, and progress among adult males who have been convicted of one or more qualifying sexual offenses and committed at least one of these sexual offenses after their 18th birthday.
- The Static 99 , a ten item actuarial assessment instrument created by R. Karl Hanson, Ph.D. and David Thornton, Ph.D. for use with adult male sexual offenders who are at least 18 year of age at time of release to the community.
- The Static 2002 which was created with the aim of improving Static-99. Static-2002R is a 14-item actuarial measure that assesses recidivism risk of adult male sexual offenders.
Dr. Samuels stated that even though a person might score high on one of these tests, it does not mean they will re-offend. He also mentioned that an older person is less likely to commit another sex crime than a younger person which he attributed to factors such lower testosterone levels, muscle decline, and increased wisdom and decision making with age.
There was also a discussion of situations which cause stress resulting from interactions with probation officers.
For people who would like to end their probation, it is helpful to pass these objective tests that pass scientific scrutiny and have been published in journals and vetted. They can be used as a helpful tool for those wanting to end their probation earlier. Therefore, it is good to familiarize yourself with the tests and find out how you score.
The following business was covered:
- We announced Pat, Terry and Jenny have been approved to hold our Fearless Meetings in the South Unit and will be scheduling a date for the first meeting.
- We will be meeting with the Director of Probation and showing our education presentation to her and her Program Manager. We are looking for additional opportunities to show it to churches, organizations, etc. Please contact Carol Anne at email@example.com with any suggestions.
- Vicky is working on our video with production to start shortly. She will be contacting those who have asked to be in it.
- Kirsten is looking into bringing the movie Untouchable by David Feige to Phoenix.
- Elaina’s story from a wife’s perspective of the registry is close to going to print.
- Dustin is in charge of our fund raising. Another way to donate to AZRSOL is to use the AmazonSmile Program. AmazonSmile is a simple and automatic way for you to support your favorite charitable organization every time you shop, at no cost to you. When you shop at amazon.com, you’ll find the exact same low prices, vast selection and convenient shopping experience as Amazon.com, with the added bonus that Amazon will donate a portion of the purchase price to your favorite charitable organization. We received our first check from Amazon thanks to your support.